Tax Help for Gambling Income and Losses

Las Vegas Gambling Hotels

Gambling Tax help Tips

Report any gambling winnings as income on your tax return. You have to itemize to deduct gambling losses up to the amount of your winnings. If you are a casual gambler, these tax help tips can help:

  1. Gambling income.  Income from gambling includes winnings from the lottery, horse racing and casinos. It also includes cash and non-cash prizes. You must report the fair market value of non-cash prizes like cars and trips.

  2. Payer tax form.  If you win, the payer may give you a Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings. The payer also sends a copy of the W-2G to the IRS. The payer must issue the form based on the type of gambling, the amount you win and other factors. You’ll also get a form W-2G if the payer must withhold income tax from what you win.

  3. How to report winnings.  You normally report your winnings for the year on your tax return as “Other Income.” You must report all your gambling winnings as income. This is true even if you don’t get a Form W-2G.

  4. How to deduct losses.  You can deduct your gambling losses on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. The total you can deduct, however, is limited to the amount of the gambling income you report on your return.

  5. Keep gambling receipts.  Keep records of your wins and losses. This means keeping items such as a gambling log or diary, receipts, statements or tickets.

  6. Gambling deductions. If you gamble as a business or a profession you can deduct your trade and business expenses as well as your gambling losses.

  7. Your winnings might be noncash — like a vacation or a car. If so, you must include its fair market value (FMV) when figuring your income.

    Anchor CPA is happy to provide tax help like this and much more contact

    us for more expert advice.

    Anchor CPA 702-463-1200
    Anchor CPA

About the author: Administrator

Professional CPA for over 15 Yrs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.